If you are feeling very encouraged to take up hydroponics and produce some fresh fruits and vegetables here are a few pointers for you:
- Hydroponics is not very difficult and you don\’t need an abandoned factory to get started. You can try growing Herbs that are required on a daily basis in small pots in your house only. Nowadays, a lot of hydroponic kits are available with instructions on top which you can easily read and get started. If you are unwilling to buy the kit just yet, you can try using aquarium stones, net tubs, plastic containers, and air pumps to create the setup.
- Get the seeds of some of the vegetables and fruits that you want to grow.
- You will need an aquarium air pump for airing the water.
- Ensure that the storage containers are colored black to prevent the entry of sunlight which causes the growth of algae. Algae are very harmful to hydroponic plants.
- You will need an air stone to aerate the water. It provides the roots with the required oxygen. It is usually a chunk of lime wood or stone attached with the small tube to an air pump. You will need to determine the size of the stone in order to understand the number of bubbles required.
- You will need a lot of tubes.
- Add to your shopping list a tester kit for measuring the pH level in the water.
- The nutrient solution required for the plant needs to be bought.
- You will need seeds in an inert medium so that they start sprouting. You can use Rockwell or perlite for the purpose. Place the seeds in the cubes in some water for germination. When the seedlings are about two to three inches you can shift them to the hydroponic setups.
- You will need to place net pots inside the containers all at the same level so that the plants get the same amount of water. Color the storage containers black so that sunlight does not enter the container. Place the container where it gets a lot of natural sunlight for the plant.
- Fill the tub with water so that only the bottom of the neck part is submerged.
- Make a small pole on the top to connect the air tube with the air stone. Put it at the center of the tub.
- Connect the top with an air pump. Ensure that the amount of air released is neither too much nor too little.
- Keep the tub prepared till the time you are ready to transfer the seedlings. Empty the tub for now and refill when you have placed the seedlings.
- Once you have transferred to the net pot cover the bottom.
- Your seedlings should be placed at the center of the net pot if there are any routes try to thread them out through the bottom. If required you will have to use a bit of growing medium around the seedlings to make it stable inside the pots. Now place the net pots inside the hydroponic tab.
- The pH level of the water has to be monitored every day.
Your very own hydroponic garden is now ready.